Sunday, April 15, 2012

366 Photo Project - Photo 41: Double Chocolate Muffins

A few weeks ago I decided to try a recipe I found on allrecipes.com since I was going to visit a friend who recently had twin girls. It's always nice to show up with some food for the new parents so I thought some healthy muffins would do just fine. The recipe I found is called Irresistible Double Chocolate Muffins. I know what you're thinking... double chocolate=mega calorie. What I didn't mention is that these muffins are surprisingly healthy! 
Ingredients: 

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup ground flax seed (I used 1/2 cup of this)
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ (I used 3/4 cup instead)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (pretty sure I used 1 cup)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then mix all wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined. The batter will be very light and airy (which scared me a lot at first). Bake in a 400 degree oven until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs on it. I think it took about 22 minutes for me. I originally wanted to grease my tins but Jamie wasn't in the mood to help so we decided to just throw down some liners. I know, The batter looks like poop. I actually doubled the recipe and made some loaves as well. Those took way longer to bake, as one would expect. I topped some of the muffins with some raw sugar and they turned out great. I threw in a picture of my ridiculously small counter top. I can't wait till we tear up this old kitchen and start on the new. Can you believe Jamie rolls out dough on that little corner all the time? I know... it's sick. 

Please don't judge the dirtiness of my muffin tin. It's just well loved. =) 

No comments: