Monday, January 3, 2011

Sunday Dinner

We invited Jamie's family over for supper tonight because it was her last night in the city. We stopped off at Costco for a roast and came out with a $200 bill! $50 of it was for Cold FX. We had some old potatoes and an old butternut squash that we needed to use up. I have never known how to properly peel a butternut squash. I'm not even sure if you're supposed to. I ended up hacking at it and wasting a lot of flesh. That bump at the bottom is really hard to peel! If anyone has any tips, please let me know! 
I was excited to attempt Yorkshire puddings. I have tried these suckers many times and have failed over and over again. Even though I fail, I always have fun trying because all the recipes are super simple. I decided to try this recipe on allrecipes. I left everything out on the counter to warm up to room temperature. I also added a pinch of salt. I also turned the temperature down to 350F after 10 minutes and had the oven rack on the lowest rack. I was SO excited that they actually rose! 
Our oven light is broken so I had to sneak quick peeks in the oven to make sure they were cooked. Took about 25-30 minutes. I really don't actually remember. 
After dinner, we played cards Vietnamese style. =) I'm not even sure what the game is called but it's almost like a Vietnamese version of Mahjong. And if you're not sure what Mahjong is... Well... It's a Chinese thing. After a couple hours of cards, I was craving something sweet so I decided to whip up a batch of brownies! I cut the recipe in half. I just use the recipe that comes on the box of Baker's Chocolate. 
It baked in almost half the time! And we topped off the hot brownies with a bit ol' scoop of vanillie ice cream! Delish! I'm pretty sure my belly was sad and happy at the same time. 

No comments: