Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oatmeal Soda Bread

I've been trying to find a good soda bread recipe since they are usually ridiculously easy so I attempted another one today. The recipe is for Oatmeal Soda Bread and it was found on allrecipes.
I ended up adding the leftover seeds I had from the Six-seed Soda Bread. The recipe was really easy and I mean really really easy. Mix together dry ingredients and then in a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. 
Add the wet to dry and form a dough. The recipe doesn't call for any kneading at all but I had to do it for a minute or so just to incorporate everything. 
After handling the dough for a bit, I shaped it and put it onto a baking stone sprinkled with corn meal to prevent it from sticking. The funnest part, scoring the dough and adding the seeds to the top. I forgot to brush the top with something to help the seeds stick so most of it fell off onto the stone. 
I managed to squash it down a bit more because the six-seed soda bread was too ball-ish and didn't bake thoroughly. 
I tried shoving a bunch of seeds into the score lines but when I went to eat the bread, all the seeds still slid off. The bread took under 10 minutes to prep and baked for about 35 minutes. The crust is quite tasty (not sure if it'd be as tasty without the seeds I added) and it's not that bad for you. I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 all purpose flour. The worst part is probably the 1/4 cup of melted butter. If you give this a go, let me know how it turns out without all the seeds! Lastly, did you happen to notice me using my fancy new potholder? 

No comments: