Thursday, September 13, 2018

Lentil Bolognese and Biltong Jerky

I miss the blogging world so I decided to try and randomly hop back on to share random ramblings every now and then. Posts will be short and sweet. Tonight for dinner I tried a new recipe for lentil bolognese from The Endless Meal. It isn't the first time I've used lentils as a meat replacement and won't be my last. The final sauce was nice and hearty and although the flavours did remind me of a rich bolognese, the texture did not. Lentils have a starchy texture that just can't replace the texture of ground meat. I added some mushrooms and only used half a red pepper. I would definitely make this again. 


Onto the next topic, biltong jerky. What the heck is biltong you ask? Apparently it's an African type of jerky. Jamie has tried making it a few times with little success but he picked up some from a local African market and it's really quite delicious. The key difference is it's not smoked but rather dipped or marinated in vinegar, coriander and other spices so it's got quite the sour tang to it. My house reeks and I remind Jamie every time I leave the house and come back in to a smack in the face vinegar smell, to which he replies, "What?! It smells awesome."

No comments: